Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

How do I get my gun rights/hunting rights back. I got a third

Customer Question

How do I get my gun rights/hunting rights back. I got a third dwi and need to know what steps to take to get my gun rights back. Can I still hunt using a firearm and just cant purchase a gun. I don't know how it all works. I grew up hunting and would like to share the same experiences with my children.Please Help.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.A conviction for a 3rd DWI is a 3rd degree felony. As such, felons may be buy, own or possess a firearm under federal law. However, Texas will allow a felon to buy a long arm to keep only in the home after at least 5 years of no criminal activity.I suggest, you can review this LINK for information on how to apply for your full firearm rights restoration.That will be the only way you can possess a fire arm outside of the home Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.​Thank you