CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

My 17 year old son just got his license. The vehicle he will

Customer Question

My 17 year old son just got his license. The vehicle he will be driving mostly in and around Ocala, Florida has a dash cam.
What are his rights if something such as an accident, or he is pulled over for a traffic infraction, or if the dash cam just simply ‘witnesses’ something in reference to a Law Enforcement officer wanting to confiscate it.
Does he have to advise the LEO the dash cam is recording?
If LEO asks for it to be turned off, does he have to comply?
Can LEO confiscate camera for any reason?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon. As long as the dashcam does not interfere with the officer and the execution of his/her duties, he has a right to have it on and recording. The camera is in his vehicle so he does not have to disclose it is running nor could the officer simply confiscate it. Of course, if the Officer sees it, he/she may not be very pleasured, for whatever reason and it could influence the Officers decision to give him a citation or not but there is nothing illegal as long as it does not interfere with the officer or block his view when driving or cause a danger to himself or other motorists.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!