Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I'm Brandon. I had a corruption of minors back in 2005.

Customer Question

Hi I'm Brandon. I had a corruption of minors back in 2005. Can I get my gun rights restored without a pardon?
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not been in any other trouble. I spent 9 months on electronic monitoring and 3 years probation. My sentencing was 9-18 months.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for requesting me. Pennsylvania isn't generous when it comes to granting rights to its former offenders, and a pardon from the governor is the way you'd have to do it. Any offense for which the maximum possible sentence would be more than a year in prison -- regardless of how little time you may have spent in jail -- will cost you not just your state but your federal gun rights. Without Federal rights, state rights are pretty meaningless as you would not pass a NICs check to be able to own a weapon. It doesn't matter how long ago your case was, or if it was violent or non-violent. The Federal government will only lift the bar against your rights if you get all of your civil rights restored, including your gun rights, or if you get your felony expunged or pardoned. Pennsylvania will not expunge convictions unless they are for summary offenses, unless/until you're 70 years old if you haven't been in trouble for the 10 years prior to your application, or until you've been dead for three years. So the only way to get your gun rights back is via a pardon. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Pardons do not require a lawyer. You can find out how to apply for one here.