Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

I pled guilty to sodomy, consensual oral sex with an adult

Customer Question

I pled guilty to sodomy, consensual oral sex with an adult female in 2008, in Georgia and must register as a sex offender for life. If I move to Wyoming will I have to register?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Under the Wyoming laws, which are pretty broad, it is clear that registration would have to occur unless you intend to immediately challenge the Wyoming laws upon your move. The definitions in 6-2-301, which you can see at this link, along with the other codes referenced in 7-19-302 cover the acts you discuss above although if the "sex offense" was solely based on it being sodomy then you could likely have gotten it reversed on appeal or you may even be able to get a declaratory judgment issued from a WY court that your specific facts aren't covered under the statutes. that would require you registering, hiring a lawyer, and then immediately filing a lawsuit.