Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I suspected my wife was cheating on me. I opened Facebook on

Customer Question

I suspected my wife was cheating on me. I opened Facebook on our computer and her page came up. I was right l. She was cheating. I figured out her password ***** then monitored other conversations from my phone and got more damming evidence. She is threatening privacy law stuff now. Was I in the wrong? She lied when I confronted her about it before I saw anything on Facebook.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer. Lying to ones spouse may be morally wrong, but it is not an unlawful act. On the other hand, hacking into someone's private phone accounts and monitoring their conversations is unlawful in all US states. Husbands and wives tend to share passwords and electronic equipment, so it's possible that the state wouldn't take this very seriously and just tell him to go to family court and file for a divorce. But they can also go forward with the charges too. It will all depend on the facts and circumstances your wife presents and her own credibility. So, if you are asking whether she can report you to the authorities and whether she can get you charged with a crime for invading her privacy, the answer is yes, she can.