How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27682
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My minor daughter has court tomorrow possession.

Customer Question

My minor daughter has court tomorrow for alcohol possession. I have no way to get her there due to car trouble but the judge denied a continuance. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to say this, but if the judge has denied a continuance, then you have to have to find a way to get her there or a warrant will be issued for her arrest, and she could be charged with failure to appear. She can ask a friend or relative, take the bus, or you can try to borrow a neighbor's car, but she will be in more trouble than she is now if she skips the court date. A warrant doesn't mean that they'll send police to your house to pick her up (usually). But if she encounters police at all—a speeding ticket, traffic accident, or anything—then they'll take her to the jail and she may have to stay overnight. If she's picked up over a weekend, she may have to stay until the following Monday, and I know that's not something you want to happen. If it is literally and physically impossible to get her to the courthouse by any means, including walking, call the public defender's office and see if there is any way someone there can enter an appearance on her behalf and ask to be appointed. Ordinarily, any local attorney can show up, which could help, but you may not have time to hire someone last minute if her appearance is in a couple of hours. I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to your daughter and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.Good luck.