Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

My minor daughter has court tomorrow. I asked continuance

Customer Question

My minor daughter has court tomorrow. I asked for a continuance because I can't get her there due to car trouble, but the judge denied a continuance. What can I do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer. If the court has denied a continuance and your daughter is not there, her lawyer can stand on the case for her and make her exuses to the judge and perhaps stop a warrant for her arrest from issuing. If your daughter does not have a lawyer and a warrant issues, she will need to have a lawyer and return as soon as she can get to court to get that warrant lifted and deal with her case. At that time she can make it clear to the judge that she had an emergency, alerted the court to it, but couldn't get to court. The judge, however, can put her into custody for her failure to appear if he thinks that's the only way she'll get to court on her court dates. That's why it's best that she return with a lawyer. Borrow or rent a car and/or move heaven and earth to get her to court today. Some judges are unreasonable about continuances, and if she doesn't get there and has to return on a warrant, the judge will need to know all she tried in order to meet her obligations, as that might determine whether she walks out of court on the same day. I know that this is not the answer you want to hear. But the judge is the final authority on what he finds acceptable in his court. If he tells you that your daughter must be there, she or a lawyer on her behalf must be there.