How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 36197
Experience:  16 years practicing criminal defense.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was arrested the scene with properly damage.

Customer Question

I was arrested for leaving the scene with properly damage. My arraignment was June 17, I didn't know what to do and so I plead not guilty. I have a new hearing Monday July 20. My public defender never returned any of my calls. I am guilty and it's my first offense. How do I change my plea and will my public defender be there on Monday morning?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
If you have already had your arraignment and were appointed a public defender, then your next appearance will be your pretrial. Your attorney will be there and there is nothing that would prevent you from notifying your attorney at the pretrial that you want to change your plea to guilty and accept responsibility for the incident.
This won't change any penalty as it is extremely common for the defendant to plead not guilty at their arraignment so they have an opportunity to discuss the case with their attorney before deciding on a course of action in the case.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Glad to help any time. And as a former Public Defender myself, I can tell you that they are swamped with cases so it is not unusual for them to not get right back with you. But that doesn't affect your case at all because nothing happens until the pretrial, which is coming up..
If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.
thanks much

Related Criminal Law Questions