Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I want to lobby to have a new law or statute passed stating

Customer Question

I want to lobby to have a new law or statute passed stating that any one who must defend his name and reputation will be compensated for the money he must spend in doing so. When we are faced with requiring a lawyer we deserve to choose what ever representation
we choose, not just a public defender that you may or may not get a fare trial with. So basically if you win your case that it would be required that the county you are being prosecuted in to compensate your funds that you required to get the counsel you choose
to protect your innocents and reputation as a citizen. I need help writing this up and need assistance getting this bill passed.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.So you want the "proposed legislation" to say in a criminal matter the Defendant "shall" be reimbursed for the amount of his legal defense should the defendant prevail? Is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I feel that the state has unlimited resources and a citizen should have every right to choose his councel of choice with out sacraficing his bank account for good representation. If he wins his case and is found innocent he should be reemburst for the cost of his defense team.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's the best route to take in order to introduce this onto common law?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThank you. ***** don't disagree with you. To have a law amended or to propose a new law, you need to have it go through the Minnesota legislature/General Assembly. And you can contact your elected representative to the Minnesota Legislature and request a meeting to discuss your proposal. They work for you. Your tax dollars pay their salaries so they are going to make time to discuss your ideas.You can use this link to locate your elected legislator. And this link will explain how a Bill becomes a law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
At any rate, you can contact your representative and begin with them. Then you can also contact other legislators and talk to them about this proposal. And in the nutshell your proposal is this In a criminal matter the Defendant "shall" be reimbursed for the amount of his legal defense should the defendant prevail.Your legislators will be able to have the proposal drafted with the proper law references, etc and they should do that at your request. Again, you pay their salary.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Most laws have a lot of "history behind them - that means, that generally when a proposal is first introduced it does not get passed. And so you will need to continue "lobbying" them and finding others to join you and help to get this matter passed.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.​Thank you