Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  I provide general practice and mediation & arbitration services to my clients.
18572087

Do i have the right to see the radar detectors reading when being stopped by police

Customer Question

do i have the right to see the radar detectors reading when being stopped by police for speeding in hawaii
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
At the time of the stop, you generally do not have an inherent right to see the radar detector's reading. But if you contest the ticket, you do have the right to demand documentation showing and proving that the item in question was properly calibrated, as that is one basis under which you can potentially argue that the detection equipment was faulty or outright false, and use that to dismiss the ticket outright.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.