CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I was giving the green card to my wife and we got divorced.

Customer Question

I was giving the green card to my wife and we got divorced. I decided, as an ex husband, to go to the final interview with immigration with her. However she got a deportation letter. Now she's threating me to say that we got married for just the papers and is asking me for money to not initiate a legal process. Can she do that? We live in different states (she in NY, I live in IN). How can I know if she initiated a legal process so I can defend myself. Now she has no way to contact me. Thanks.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She requested the divorce. While we were married I gave her all papers to get the green card (statements, lease, etc). She got to the point where she got a temporary green card but then got deportation letter. Main question: how can I know, from Indiana, if she started a legal process in NYC. She has no way to contact me.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Any valid legal process would have to be served on you via "personal service" or "substitute service" (you would know if she actually filed something with the court.I have no idea what type of claim she intends to file (there isn't a valid cause of action that she could file to cover this type of claim - she cannot force you to stay married to her to get her greencard - you don't owe her a marriage to get her greencard, and a claim that you only married her to get a greencard would not be enforceable in court (it is an illegal contract, and courts do not enforce illegal contracts)).