P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
11181181

My granddaughter is on probation, she has completed

Customer Question

My granddaughter is on probation,for dui she has completed the halfway house,has a job .She wants to live with her grandparents,,they have never been in trouble with the law.Can her PO refuse her to go with her grandparents?The PO has never meat the grandparents nor has he been to there home
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an Arizona attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
I am very sorry for this dilemma. The PO (probation officer) does have the power to determine where a person on probation can live. So the PO can require your granddaughter to live in a location other than her grandparents.
That said, the PO has a responsibility to make decisions in this regard based on what is best for the probationer (the person on probation). So if the PO is being unfair or arbitrary in their decision making process? Your granddaughter can file a complaint to the PO's supervisor. And she could even request that a new PO be appointed.
So she does have some rights here...just understand that if the PO has a legitimate reason for this decision, the probation office and the courts will back them up.
Please let me know if you have more questions. Happy to help if I can.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Follow up on this, the system indicated you have more questions. Please let me know if you have more questions. Happy to help if I can. Otherwise please rate the answer, as that is the only way I can receive credit for my work
Phil