How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27010
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are you able to sue an individual (that is on federal supervised

Customer Question

Are you able to sue an individual (that is on federal supervised release with the Department of Justice) for civil rights violations. I am disabled and when I was physically abused, he would tell me that nobody would believe me b/c I am disabled. I took pictures and videos of the abuse for the past year until about a week ago I called the police. He was arrested for federal aggregated assault, i am going to be a witness in the criminal case brought against him, I have a protection order hearing, there is a no contact order in place by the DA's office and a divorce (that I was going to wait until after July to file) but am being rushed to file now since he hired an attorney on his end. Is there also a federal suit that I can file against regarding me having to endure all of this while I am a full time student?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.I am sorry to hear of your situation. Yes, you can sue even though he is in prison or on supervised release. You can sue but you will want to be sure there is money to recover. I suggest, if you are not yet divorced, you will want to begin that process. You also should consider consulting with a member of a local Domestic Abuse Victim advocacy group, who can help with your divorce process. Sometimes, it can become overbearing and those advocacy groups are experts with this type of situation and often have legal on retainer who will assist.You can find them via your local library or even you local YMCA. They have lists, as well will the court house in your area.