Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I go to court in the morning 4th suspended license ticket.

Customer Question

I go to court in the morning for my 4th suspended license ticket. What am I looking at
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
How recently did you get your other three tickets for driving on a suspended license? Are those cases still open? What were you sentenced to for those? Was there an accident? Why were you stopped? Are you at liberty on bond, or were you released on your own recognizance?
In general, if the priors are old suspensions, you could end up with an additional suspension and a very heavy fine. However, these charges are misdemeanors and if they are recent, the very fact that you have three prior suspensions shows that you know you have no right to be driving and gives you no real defense to the charge. Under those circumstances, a jail offer would be likely this time around.
You will need to plead not guilty when you are arraigned and if you don't have a lawyer and you don't like the offer, ask for a continuance to come back with counsel.