Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

My son was arrested. I paid a 4,000.00 bond, did not get a

Customer Question

My son was arrested. I paid a 4,000.00 bond, did not get a contract, only a receipt for the credit card charge. When the bondsman took the paid bond papers to the bond court judge, the judge said my son would have to to wear an ankle bracelet and could not go back to his resident (which was printed in the form). The court let him mark through his address and entered my address. The bondsman brought the legal paper back with a stamp on it that said my son had to have the ankle bracelet, I said I was not paying the first fee of $179.00 so therefore he could not be released. The bondsman said they did not know about an ankle bracelet until the 4,000 had been paid. Therefore I did not know before paying 4,000. They would not refund my 4,000. There is no justification in my son being able to just change the address on the form without my permission. I am terrified of my son. At one time I had an order of protection because he threationed to kill me. I thought he had changed so I paid the 4,000.00. Everything he told me was a lie and I should have known that. He is 47 and has probably been a drug addict since high school. He has a record a mile long. Can you tell me why a bondsman would not know everything about a case, especially the ankle bracelet, which would have been so stressful on me (I have a heart condition as well as an upcoming surgery). Please give me your thoughts on this. Thank you, ***** *****
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the bondsman did not do what he agreed to do, then your recourse is to contact the credit card company and file for a charge back. If the credit card company will not do the charge back, then your recourse is filing a breach of contract suit against the bondsman for not completing the bond as he agreed to do for the charges.
The bondsman many times will not know any terms and conditions of a bond until they get to the court and check the court file. When he found a condition of the bond you were not willing to agree to, then the terms of the contract were not fulfilled and as such he was liable for returning the bond to you as he could not provide the services as agreed upon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought I would not be charged for this first help.
I am sorry for any misunderstandings. Please refer to the site terms and conditions you agreed upon when posting your question. The experts are not employees of this site, so we have no idea what customers agreed to with the site and you can contact customer service at http://ww2.justanswer.com/help to discuss those terms, as the experts do not know what you agreed to.