Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

I just got caught shoplifting 3rd time and I am also on

Customer Question

I just got caught shoplifting for the 3rd time and I am also on parole . My shoplifting charge was a class A misdemenor what could my punishment be and is there anyway I can beat it..?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

A Class A misdemeanor is punishable by a fine of up to $2,500 and up to one year of imprisonment. If you were on parole at the time, there's a chance that you could wind up spending a few days in jail on the shoplifting. Because jail is possible, you have a right to have an attorney appointed for you at no expense. Your lawyer will review the evidence to determine the best defense. There really isn't any way to weigh a person's odds of avoiding a conviction accurately without viewing all the evidence personally. Your lawyer will be looking for things like an illegal search or a statement given without Miranda warnings to see if any of the evidence against you can be suppressed. It may be possible to negotiate for a plea bargain that can reduce or avoid jail time, but that's tricky, because a guilty plea is automatically a parole violation.

The standard of proof on a parole violation is lower than the actual criminal charges. Even if you're acquitted on the shoplifting charge, you could still be violated. So it may be worth talking to your parole officer. Judges frequently follow the PO's recommendation, and it sometimes helps to know in advance what that's going to be. But talk to your lawyer first. You do have a right to hire someone on your own if you prefer, but if not, the judge will give you a free public defender at the initial appearance.

It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.