Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

Is Defamation of character a criminal case or civil?

Customer Question

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
Technically, it's both. Defamation can be found in the Torts section of the Mississippi Civil Code, under Section 95-1-1. That statute applies both to written defamation (libel) and spoke (slander).
Libel is also listed as a crime in Mississippi Code, Section 97-3-55. However, in 1971, the Mississippi Supreme Court ruled that the statute is so vague as to be unenforceable. See Boydstun v. State, 249 So. 2d 411 (Miss. 1971). As a result, people are not prosecuted for libel, even though the statute hasn't been removed from the books.
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.