Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I was arrested of a government document, 3rd degree

Customer Question

I was arrested for forgery of a government document, 3rd degree felony, Jan. 2015
i hired a defense attorney and under his advisement voluntarily turned myself into the authorities and bonded out with a PR Bond. My case has not been presented to the Grand Jury, and I'm inquiring about my eligibility of a speedy trial, statue of limitations & possible dismisal of charges. (My recent ex-husband, a detective with the local police department, reported me to the authorities and sparked the investigation.) I'm looking for a second opinion...
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. A speedy trial is a very ambiguous term......as there is no set period of time. Instead, the case will progress depending on thecase load and court docket.....so it is not likely that you could have the charges dismissed based on the speedy trial claim unless there was no activity for at least a year. Also, the statute of limitations isn't relevant once charges are filed......the statute of limitations only pertains to how long the authorities have to file charges, but once the charges are filed, the statute of limitations is irrelevant. So, neither of these things are likely to provide any help in getting the charges dismissed........at least not now (in regard to the speedy trial).