Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

If a person comes on your property and is told to leave and

Customer Question

If a person comes on your property and is told to leave and they keep coming and shove their face into your screen porch and you tap them in the face with your knuckles can you be charged with battery?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
You can hit him in the face if you reasonably believe you are in imminent danger of being injured and that would give you a self-defense claim. Self-defense is an affirmative defense, meaning that it is a defense that you can assert at trial which, if you can prove it, will get you acquitted. But yes, you can be charged with a battery and the finder of fact, judge or jury, would get to determine whether self-defense applied after hearing all of the evidence.
You can read the Florida self-defense statute here:
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0776/0776.html