S. Huband, Esq.
S. Huband, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced and knowledgeable criminal defense attorney.
70026054

My Daughter has never been in trouble with the Law before.

Customer Question

My Daughter has never been in trouble with the Law before. Now she has two class D Felonies, and one class E Felony. What could be her Punishment if convicted?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  S. Huband, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
What state is she charged in?
It appears you're offline now. Once you respond I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Keep in mind that I may not be online at the time you respond. Thanks,Shuband
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New York State
Thanks for the update.
NY's felony punishments depend on the type of felony a person is convicted of. Here's a basic rundown:
Class D NON-VIOLENT felony: 1 to 7 years (no minimum sentence, so a person can get as little as probation)
Class D VIOLENT felony: 2 to 7 years (prison time is required)
Class E NON-VIOLENT felony: 1 year 4 months to 4 years (no minimum sentence, so a person can get as little as probation)
Class E VIOLENT felony: 1 year 6 months to 4 years (no minimum sentence, so a person can get as little as probation)
NY is an indeterminate sentencing state. That means they have parole. A judge sets a sentencing range with a minimum sentence but it's the parole board who determines the exact length of the prison sentence, up to the maximum in the range the judge sets. The determination is based on the inmate's progress in prison, their rehabilitative potential, the nature of the convictions, remorse, etc.
I hope my response has been helpful. If you have follow-up questions or concerns on this topic, please ask. I'll get back to you as quickly as I can, although I may not be online at the moment you respond.
Otherwise, I hope you will rate my answer positively as that is the ONLY way I receive credit for my work, and doing so will NOT cost you an additional fee.
Best wishes to you, Customer