Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Im ellis choate amd its been 26 ? years since I was convicted

Customer Question

hi,im ellis choate amd its been 26 ? years since I was convicted of felon dui can I get my rights back and I live in Columbia mo now and have been here for years
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
In what US state were you convicted? Which rights are you looking to have restored?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Redding ca and all if possible
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to be able to vote again and take the kids hunting .I grew up hunting and they want to but I cant cause of my dui felon . I just want to feel like a human again and be normal .
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the quick reply. This is a tall order. Once lost, California rights are very hard to get restored.Your right to vote was automatically restored upon completion of your entire sentence, so there is no reason you can't vote. Your other civil rights in California can only be restored by a pardon from the governor. An unconditional pardon based on a certificate of rehabilitation would get you all of your rights back, including your firearms right, since your felony did not involve the use of a weapon. You can apply for the pardon directly to the governor. If you want the certificate of rehabilitation, you have to have lived in California for the three years before you apply in order to qualify for it. As you're in Missouri now, you wouldn't be eligible to apply for that. Here's more information about the procedure. It is from San Diego county, but the information is valid throughout the state.