Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I was caught shoplifting almost 3 years ago...it was under

Customer Question

I was caught shoplifting almost 3 years ago...it was under $50...then again a year ago...it was under $50 and reduced to misuse of property... Two days ago, I made a mistake of taking something again...under $100....is there any way I can get out of going to jail??? I have no other record...I'm on medications I know they won't give me in jail, and I have chronic asthma that requires medication several times a day...please help! I'm a mom just working and trying to get by.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
Sshoplifting in Ohio is categorized as a first degree misdemeanor, so the potential punishment includes a jail sentence up to six months, a fine up to $1,000, and probation for up to five years.
There is no mandate that the judge sentence you jail, even on a subsequent offense. I suggest that because of the time between the first and current offenses, probation is probably what the court will sentence you to - and no jail time.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.
​Thank you