Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

My daughter ran from a car accident. She hit 2 cars ...no

Customer Question

My daughter ran from a car accident. She hit 2 cars ...no injuries..the police came asking questions ..i didnt no at the time it had happened when they came. What is best to do? Turn herself in?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
If your daughter turns herself in she will be arrested for having left the scene of the crime and she will face misdemeanor charges. If she doesn't turn herself in and the police have reason to believe that she may have committed this crime, they can arrest her anyway, but at least she would not make any confession to the police, which could hurt her in court.
She should not talk to the police about this incident unless she is with a lawyer, and she has no obligation to surrender herself to the police.