Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I'm wondering if these keywords are considered soliciting a minor based on a dating s

Customer Question

I'm wondering if these keywords are considered soliciting a minor based on a dating site. So the other person never responded on blendr. But the message sent to their 18 year old profile said. Yo sup gorgeousim Jake. I'm interested in casual dating with sex. U interested in hanging tonight?. The second message sent said Im so so sorry you're profile said your 18, i didn't know your age. Is this person forgiven? Considering that they were using an adult dating site meant for adults? And that person sent in two complaints through email relaying the issue to have the user removed. The person had written on the bottom of the profile I'm 15 not 18. But it wasn't seen initially because it pops up and you either like the profile and send a message or you pess x and move on
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer. Thanks for requesting me.
I think Jake is going to be just fine. He rectified his mistake as soon as he spotted that the person was only 15 and sent a second message to that effect. Then he reported the underaged user to the website where he found her. He would be wise to block any contact with that person from here.
That said, be very careful, because sites like the one you're talking about are dangerous and the burden of assuring oneself that the other party he is looking to have sex with is really at least 18 is on the adult. The fact that the minor lies about her age isn't neccesarily going to save the adult if he doesn't do his due diligence.
I saw this article, for example, in the New York Times only this morning:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/05/us/teenagers-jailing-brings-a-call-to-fix-sex-offender-registries.html?emc=edit_th_20150705&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=58525577&_r=0
Even when the courts are generous under such circumstances, the adult can still face a lifetime of registration as a sex offender and all of the stigma that goes on with it.
Be more careful and have a safe and happy holiday weekend.