S. Huband, Esq.
S. Huband, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced and knowledgeable criminal defense attorney.
70026054

I got a citation to a felony. The cops told me

Customer Question

i got a citation for assessory to a felony. The cops told me it was just a misdemeanor. Is that true or am I looking at jail or prison time
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  S. Huband, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to assist you.
Being an accessory to a felony is governed by Nebraska code 28-204:
http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=28-204
Accessory to a felony CAN itself be a felony, depending on the act the person allegedly did. It can also be a class 1 misdemeanor.
A class 1 misdemeanor is punishable by UP TO 1 year in jail and/or a $1,000.00 fine. That's the maximum punishment, not necessarily what you'd get if convicted. There is no minimum punishment.
If convicted, the exact punishment, if any, depends on a lot of factors. The judge will consider the person's criminal history (if any), the facts of the present case, whether there are any victims who were hurt or lost money, whether the accused is remorseful, was cooperative with the police, etc.
Since this crime is punishable by possible jail time, you're entitled to a court appointed attorney if you cannot afford your own attorney. You're certainly permitted to hire any attorney of your choosing, as well, if you wish.
I hope my response has been helpful. If you have follow-up questions or concerns on this topic, please ask. I'll get back to you as quickly as I can, although I may not be online at the moment you respond.
Otherwise, I hope you will rate my answer positively as that is the ONLY way I receive credit for my work, and doing so will NOT cost you an additional fee.
Best wishes to you, Customer
Hello again,
I'm writing to follow up on your question. I see you recently viewed my answer, but you didn't issue a rating. If you need clarification about my answer, please ask. Otherwise, please let me know what else I can do, if anything, to earn a positive rating from you.
Thanks again for using our service! Customer