Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I have a dismissed warrant from 25 years ago from being on

Customer Question

I have a dismissed warrant from 25 years ago from being on diversion program for receiving and concieling property. What can I do to get my handgun permit ? I'm in Tn.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the case was dismissed and you were not convicted, because it was diversion, then you should not have any issue possessing a handgun. If the sheriff will not issue a carry permit, then you need to go to court to file a motion to expunge the charge and ask the court as part of that proceeding to issue a certificate of rehabilitation which would allow the sheriff to issue the permit, which as you know is at their discretion.