Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I am a new jersey resident. From 2005-2008 I have a long list of arrests because of drug a

Customer Question

I am a new jersey resident. From 2005-2008 I have a long list of arrests because of drug abuse. My last charge was may 2008 for burglary. I have three convictions for burglary along with a couple charges for possession. Since my release from prison in 2009, I have completely changed my life. I am a licensed insurance producer but my record is holding me back from furthering my career. Is there anyway I can have my records expunged?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer. New Jersey will not expunge all types of indictable offenses. You can see the list of what cannot be expunged here: http://law.onecle.com/new-jersey/2c-the-new-jersey-code-of-criminal-justice/52-2.html However, as you can see in the statute, they will also not expunge more than one conviction, and it is a precondition that you have no prior convictions before or after it, other than up to 2 disorderly persons offenses. Unfortunately, this means that unless/until there is a substantial change in New Jersey's expungement laws, you will not be able to remove these convictions from your record and resume work in the insurance field. You can seek a pardon from the governor of New Jersey, but that would not erase your record. Nevertheless, pardons, if you can get one, should still be helpful on the employment front in reducing discrimination based on your prior record.