Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I had to trun in a gun my farther gave me on a 209A in Ma.

Customer Question

I had to trun in a gun my farther gave me on a 209A in Ma. back in1994 do the police still owe me a gun ?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
If you were not convicted of a crime, but your weapon was taken from you due to just having a protective order, you should have been able to get your gun back once the order expired. Police get rather funny about this sort of thing though, and frequently make you have to take them to court and get the judge to order the return of your weapon.
Had you done this at the time, the judge would likely have required the police to give you your gun back. Now, unfortunately, it is years too late to take the police to court, as the statute of limitations has long expired.