Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

A friend is planning to try a 'walk in' arraignment in a 15th

Customer Question

A friend is planning to try a 'walk in' arraignment in a 15th district court. This person can't afford an attorney and has a bench warrant on failure to appear. Do people have success doing this alone?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B) If you receive a phone call offer while we chat, know that this is an automated test feature the site is running. Due to possible ethical issues, the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I normally decline them. Unless the phone call offer you receive literally states "THIS OFFER IS FROM ELY" (which means I personally initiated it), please do not entertain any such offer; and (C) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
What do you mean by "walk in" arraignment? What is the background story and what is he attempting to do, exactly?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Walk-in arraignments allows a person with a criminal charge to avoid the arrest phase. I've obviously made a mistake contacting you. You have enough information to answer my question but have chosen not to.. I will not give you any more money. I am very very sorry I contacted you. Good bye.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
A "Walk-in arraignments" can mean different things in different jurisdictions. Also, people often use legal terminology improperly, so I could not be sure what you meant until you clarified. So this is why I had asked.
Finally, without knowing some of the background (such as what the person is charged with and the circumstances of the missed court date as well as their prior criminal record), there is no way I can venture a good answer. This is why I asked for more information.
However, if you wish to cancel the question, no problem. You can ask for a refund by contacting customer service at www.justanswer.com/help - good luck!