Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

Nephew works as CO. Trying to prove he is a drug dealer---NOT

Customer Question

Nephew works for SO as CO. Trying to prove he is a drug dealer---NOT TO INMATES.
I May be subpoenaed as withness for DA.
What rights do I have ?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
If you are subpoenaed to appear in court, you MUST appear or be in contempt of that court order.
You can "take the 5th" - meaning you have a right to be silent and not provide testimony - ONLY IF what you will say will incriminate you in the matter somehow.
You also may decide what questions you want to take the 5th on and which ones you want to answer. I suggest that as witness for the DA, you should consult with your Nephew's defense attorney and discuss what you should do, too, because you don't want to do anything that might hurt your nephew's case.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.
​Thank you