Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

My ex wife in Tennessee file a claim and forged my name on the home owner insurance check.

Customer Question

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
Can you explain a little more about your situation? What do you mean you tried to take her to court? What happened?
Is your ex-wife still living in the home, or is this related to something that happened before the divorce?
What is your specific question or questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My ex-wife in still living in the martial home with the kids. She has forged my name on a mortage loan and now has forged my name on a insurance claim. We have been fully divorced for several years and she stated that she would not forged my name on any documents after the marriage. Recently, I learn that she has filed an insurance claim on the martial home and forged my signature to use the cash to fix the house.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We went to court previously for her signing my name on a loan modification. But the judge could not justfiy that she sign the document.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Was the claim itself legitimate? Meaning, was it for repairs actually needed? Is her name on the insurance policy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her name is ***** ***** the insurance policy. The claim was for some repairs but she used the 1000.00 to take a trip.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
The first step is to alert the insurance company. Let them know that they are absolutely not to process anymore claims for her. See if they can set up some kind of password ***** to your policy so that claims CANNOT be processed without it. Or ask if they can close the policy as fraudulent and open a new one.
You also have the ability to file a Motion for Contempt of Court, letting the judge know that she forged your name again, and asking that she not only be ordered to return you the $1,000, but pay additional penalties. If this keeps happening, you can also ask that she be ordered to spend a day or two in jail to think about what she's done. Even though the judge didn't rule in your favor in the previous case, that doesn't mean he won't side with you now.
Another option is to ask the judge to order that she provide her own insurance on the house from now on. Then, whatever she does is between her and the insurance company, and you won't have to be involved.
Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.