Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  I provide general practice and mediation & arbitration services to my clients.
18572087

I got my 1st dui last october, i do not drink, in fact, I'm

Customer Question

I got my 1st dui last october, i do not drink, in fact, I'm in the middle of a divorce because my ex was an alcoholic. I went out to celebrate my 1st job after taking 14 years off to raise my children. My co-workers and i went out to dinner and 1 had 3 drinks over 4 hours and had dinner. my problem is, i don't drink and i weight 100 pounds. I was 2 blocks from home and my cell phone rang and the driving behind me said he saw me swerve. He called the cops and they pulled me over. they took me in for blookwork and my bac was .17 because i'm so small. the cops even apologized to me because they said i seemed fine. i have no prior record, speeding tickets etc. i go in front of the judge tomorrow and was wondering if you could give me any advice as to what to say to possibly get my suspension lowered from 60 days. I'm a single parent with a child with disability. she's type 1 diabetic and requires round the clock care and i'm worried sick how I'm going to care for her without my license. her father isn't around, he travels for his job every week and i don't even have parents who can help me out, they are 80. i'm also going to lose my job and as a single parent, i really need it. i've already started taken my 1st dui class and have my 2nd tomorrow. i was recommended the least amount of classes, 18 hours. any idea what i could say to the judge tomorrow to help reduce my sentence?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your post. I am a licensed Pennsylvania professional and will do my best to assist you this evening.
I also happen to be in remission with my own diabetes so I absolutely understand the needs of such individuals, and why you are so concerned about tomorrow.
The best suggestion would be two-fold. First, take complete ownership of the issue. Admit to it if you are found at fault, and do so without reservation. You can state that you didn't realize that you drank so much due to inexperience but do not state that this in any way lessens your culpability. Then bring up the fact that you are remorseful and are taking classes to show that you are dealing with this issue in a responsible manner.
The second thing is to state that due to your situation as the sole caretaker and breadwinner, this violation would ultimately have a far more deleterious affect on your dependents if you are so convicted. State that since you have their responsibility in place, you are seeking a means by which you can still perform your duties, and potentially ask for a limited license as an option so that you can go to and from work. This may work, but I must be realistic and state that the chance of it is fairly low.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.