Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Awhile back I rented items from rac and I moved and left them

Customer Question

awhile back I rented items from rac and I moved and left them with my daughter and her boyfriend(whom it turns out is a heroin addict) long story short after I left the items got gone and they moved,but I just found out and I am scared that I will go to jail,even though I live in another state
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Are you saying that the items you rented were stolen from your daughter's house? How long ago? Did you report the theft of the items to RAC? Have you been paying the rental fees to RAC?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im not sure how long they have been gon e,and my daughter's boyfriend was supposed to pay on them if I left them there,and no I didn't call police b/c I didn't want my daughter to goto jail too ,she has a 2 yr old son , I live in s.c. now the stuff was rented from n.c will they come arrest me or just supeona me so I can set up a payment plan? I am really scared of going to jail at 50 years old
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried explaining to rac but all they said was bring the stuff back or go to jail
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am out of work right now but currently looking for a job ,i just do not have the money to pay them right now
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Did your daughter's boyfriend pay anything on the items? Was RAC sending you bills that nobody was paying?
Who have you heard from with regard to this? Did you call RAC or did they contact you? If they contacted you, did they send you letters and if so what did they say?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they sent me a letter demanding i return the items
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and he paid on them for awhile and then just stopped paying
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
then they moved and the items mysteriously disappeared i'm going to jail right b/c i as responsible for the items
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you here?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
If these items were stolen from your daughter's boyfriend's house, then you should have reported the items stolen. Then you'd have had to come to terms with RAC, but at least it would be a civil debt rather than a criminal problem.
Basically, this is a civil matter too. You owe RAC their money and their goods. But if you do nothing at all, they can try to convince the police that you never intended to pay them in the first place and try to get you charged with theft by fraud.
You need to get a local civil lawyer involved -- this is nothing that we can do for you on JustAnswer, because we are not a law firm. As RAC hasn't involved the police at this point, a civil lawyer may be able to negotiate a payment plan with RAC for the value of the items so that you can avoid criminal charges and a prosecution.
If RAC does convince the authorities to charge you with a theft offense and the amount of the money makes this case into a felony and there is a warrant for your arrest in North Carolina, if you are picked up for anything at all, even a traffic stop, in South Carolina you can be arrested and held without bail for North Carolina to come get you to answer for the crime.
You don't want to get to that point, so you should seek out legal help as I've indicated above to try to get a reasonable plan for repayment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will they send the police to my house ?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Right now, it is still a civil matter so they will not send anybody at all. We don't make arrests for civil debts in this country.
If it does become a criminal matter and they do file charges against you, however, then, yes, they can enlist the aid of the South Carolina police to bring you in and hold you for extradition to North Carolina. Or, like I have said, they can simply wait until you get stopped for a traffic ticket or something like that. The police would see the warrant and they would arrest you at that time and have you held for North Carolina.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome. Good luck!