RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

In order to file a restraining order what information

Customer Question

In order for me to file a restraining order what information do I need to provide the court?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer.What state would this be in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New Jersey
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.Here is a guide from the NJ Courts on how to file out the request for a temporary restraining order:http://www.nj.gov/oag/dcj/njpdresources/dom-violence/dv-tro-trng-guide.pdfIt will instruct you on what you need to know in a very detailed explanation, but basically you are giving a description of the person you want a restraining order against, as well as the details of why a restraining order is necessary. They will want to know (to the best of your knowledge) if the person has any guns or weapons in their home. And of course, they'll need to know where this person lives so the restraining order can be served on them. Also, here is some basic information on restraining orders in NJ which you may find helpful in explaining the process:http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/hudson/family/domestic.htm#2If you need more information, please use the REPLY feature, I'll be happy to assist. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's my neighbor. How that be handled?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to file a restraining order against harassment against the neighbor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no domestic violence everything was verbal.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, NJ law does not provide for this type of restraining order. Under state law, "a restraining order is a civil order issued by a judge that provides protection for you and your family from harm by a spouse or former spouse, a present or former household member, a person you have a child in common with or expect to have a child in common with (if you are currently pregnant), or a person you've had a dating relationship with.* * NJSA § 2C:25-19(d)Thus, you cannot get a restraining order against a neighbor. That said, harassment is a petty disorderly persons offense, punishable by a maximum of up to 30 days in jail under NJ law. Therefore, you could contact the police and report the harassment to them as it is a crime.