Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

Joseph, wondering what the law in Florida is regarding

Customer Question

Hi Joseph, wondering what the law in Florida is regarding GPS tracking of a vehicle that is registered in my name but driven by a man friend.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under FL law and Federal Law, even if you own the vehicle, unless you make him aware the device is in the vehicle, it is considered an unlawful electronic surveillance and it is a crime. Even the police need warrants to conduct such surveillance and even if it is your car you cannot just track the car with the GPS. Now, if the driver is on notice that the car contains such a device and may be tracked, then it is permissible as it is your car.