ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

My son was arrested possession in south Alabama

Customer Question

My son was arrested for simple possession in south Alabama and entered into a plea agreement to pay a fine to settle it. He is from Tennessee and returned to Tennessee but never completed the plea agreement by completely paying the fine. That was two years ago. Now he had a bad breakup with his girlfriend and she called the police on him and made a domestic relations complaint against him for assault (pouring a beer on her while both were intoxicated). If he turns himself in for the domestic assault matter will Alabama extradite him for the old simple possession matter? What are the chances?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. Probably not. All states can hold a person for extradition...it is not the state that arrests you that has the final say...its the state that issued the warrant that has the final say on this matter. Since they (in this case Alabama) have to pay the costs to extradite, in many cases they will waive off on a misdemeanor warrant...but they are NOT required to.So if there is a warrant, the warrant might say if the state (Alabama) plans to extradite, it could be that the person is arrested, and spends a few days in jail while the state (Alabama) confirms they will extradite. As I said, it's not likely for a misdemeanor, but not outside of the realm of possibility. In my experience, states will only extradite for felony warrants, and even then only in serious ones such as murder, arson, rape, etc... , because of the costs involved in the extradition hearings and transportation of the defendant. Otherwise, they're not going to pay the costs to extradite someone from one state to another, especially if it's an old, minor charge. Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?
Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)
Hello?
My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. ▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!