Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  I provide general practice and mediation & arbitration services to my clients.
18572087

My son is 40 yrs old, doesn't have a job or drivers license,

Customer Question

My son is 40 yrs old, doesn't have a job or drivers license, and owes for back child support in another state. He's tried to get job but can't get hired. What can he do to relinquish his parental rights? Or do, period.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
My apologies to your son on his situation. As far as relinquishing rights, that does not terminate the obligation to pay support. If the point is to waive support payments, a rights relinquishment won't help as far as arrears. The only one who can file is the other parent if the child(ren) are with with her as she can file to sever rights, but it would also require a new person to step forth and seek an adoption. Otherwise your son still retains responsibility for the payments and the obligations under child support.
I am sorry!
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.