Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I have a question can some unknown company use my address for

Customer Question

I have a question can some unknown company use my address for there business they have used it for years I just found out.This cause me a lot of problems . It caused me an I.R.S. audit. Is there a mass law for using my address. Do I have any recourse with these people.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There is no specific MA law for using someone's address, but it would come under libel (which is giving out false written information about you to third parties which causes you harm, which could apply. Also, under MA Gen. Law Section 93A, this is also likely going to be deemed an unfair and deceptive business practice. The issue is that you need to send the company a letter putting them on notice of the 93A violation and you need to find their real location somehow to give them notice. You would also need their real location to sue them for violations of libel and 93A as well, so you need to find their real location to take action.
When you do find their real location, here is a sample letter that you would send them and if they fail to comply you would be entitled to triple damages plus attorney's fees against them. See: http://www.mass.gov/ago/consumer-resources/consumer-assistance/93a-demand-letter.html