Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My daughter was just served a summons to appear in court for

Customer Question

My daughter was just served a summons to appear in court for possession of 1.3 grams of marijuana and marijuana paraphernalia in the state of Florida. How much could we expect to pay for lawyer fees and what could a realistic charge and fine be for this first offense. She is 19 years old.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
1) An attorney is likely to charge about $1,500 for base representation, and about $5,000 should she want this to go to trial.
2) This is a misdemeanor. Given that this is her first criminal offense, she is very likely to be offered a deferment program or some other type of offer that will not result in a conviction and/or time in jail in exchange for a few classes, community hour, and a fine (technically, this misdemeanor can have up to a year in jail punishment).
3) However, said deferment is not a RIGHT, and the prosecutor may take advantage of a Defendant's naivete. The prosecutor is not even likely to discuss such plea deals without counsel, so it is important to have an attorney in Court.
Good luck.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.