Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I just spoke to the clerk judge handling my motion

Customer Question

I just spoke to the clerk for the judge handling my motion to withdraw guilty plea and he couldn't give me any indication of when the judge might make a ruling on my motion. It's been 2 months. This issue is time sensitive to me. Is there anyway I can
ask a higher court to intervene?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions. I'm sorry to say that there is no way to get a higher court to intervene. Before a higher court could have jurisdiction over the matter, there must first be a final order or ruling from the lower court which you wish to appeal. In this case (based on what you describe), there has been no final order or ruling on your motion. Accordingly, the lower court still has jurisdiction over the matter. In other words, there is nothing that a higher court could decide at this point. There is no lower court ruling to review. I am truly sorry that my answer is bad news for you, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer.