Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Over A Decade Of Criminal Law Experience
12711280

A man I was living with at the time had me put all my assets

Customer Question

A man I was living with at the time had me put all my assets in his name. I at the time was recovering from being in a coma and had memory problems. We got married. Less than a year later he divorced me and threatened to report me for bankruptcy fraud if I tried to take back any of my assets. What do I do? I am disabled and will barely survive with my disability money and I'm very scared of him.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
All of this information needs to go into the court record in your divorce proceedings. This means that you need to place evidence in the record, which can be your testimony, your medical records relative to your illness, etc., that at the time of the transfer of assets, you were not of sound mind and that he took advantage of your decreased awareness, to you detriment.
By getting the court to note that in their decision, you will be able to do two things: (1) retain your assets (which you should be able to do anyway as these were your assets before marriage and therefore this would not be marital property); and (2) you will have an official court record wherein a court of competent jurisdiction recognizes this issue that you can in turn use to protect yourself relative to a bankruptcy court and his allegations of fraud.
Moreover, do not worry about his extortion attempt relative to his claims of turning you in for fraud. The bankruptcy court will see this for what it is - and that is his attempts to perfect his theft in a divorce proceeding.
Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.
Please rate my answer positively.
Best wishes going forward!
Did you have any other questions or comments? I just want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks!