Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

In the State of Texas is an 11 year old juvenile charged with

Customer Question

In the State of Texas is an 11 year old juvenile charged with 4 counts of aggrevated sexual assault (2 kids) at risk to be put on a sex offender registry? Or, will the juvenile sentence entail only rehabilitation therapy? What will the typical sentencing be in a juvenile court?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
In general Texas requires juveniles to register and to provide notification of residency in the community. In particular, if the complainant is within 4 years of the juvenile, registration is not required.
There's no typical sentence because the prosecutor has the discretion to move the case to adult court where he can face more serious sanctions. It all depends on the facts and circumstances of the case, the strength of the state's case, as well as the personal and criminal history of the juvenile defendant and the results of the intake assessment.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pleas confirm as to what you mean by: "In particular, if the complainant is within 4 years of the juvenile, registration is not required." Does that specifically refer to the victims? Ther victims were 45 and 6. The perpetrator was 11. Can you please clarify for me. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The victims were 4 and 6.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
Sure.
The law in your state says that if the defendant and the complainants were less than 4 years apart, the defendant would not have to register. If the complainants here are 4 and 6, then registration is required as there is more than a 4 year gap between the defendant and the complainant.