LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

I rec a insurance check damages to a suv I was

Customer Question

I rec a insurance check for little damages to a suv I was leasing and the body shop I chose was cheaper than the check...I deposited the check because the lien holder put me into another suv so they could get the whole check and on my contract it says I am responsible for damages and whats left of the check is to go to the balance of my suv but they lien holder says they don't put the money left on my account and I didn't tell them that its on my contract and I found out they have very bad reviews plus the put my suv back on the lot to sell...and some of the damage the guy put in the estimate was there when I brought the suv...my insurance company sent out three checks and the one with my name and body shop they disposed of and wanted the insurance com to send check to them but they wouldn't and they said if I don't give them all the money they would take me to court and I would go to jail...I am wiling to give them the part that the body shop estimate...please can I go to jail for refusing to give them all the check
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good evening,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
It is absolutely impossible for you to go to jail for breaching a contract. At the very most, if they were to sue you---which is unlikely under the circumstances, then "might" get a money judgment against you. But no, you cannot go to jail for breach of contract, under Arizona law or the law of any other state or territory of the US.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug