Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Some one is harrasing me and threatening me and my family,

Customer Question

some one is harrasing me and threatening me and my family, what should i do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Are you fearful for your safety as a result of these threats? If so and they are continuing, you can report the offense to the police and ask for a protective order. The person harassing and threatening you will become the defendant on a criminal case and while the case is pending and for a period following a conviction, that period to be determined by a judge, this person would have to keep away from you and your family or would face arrest and additional criminal charges.
If you do not want this person arrested but just want the order, you can get yourself a civil restraining order to stop the harassment. You can read more about that in this overview:
http://www.womenslaw.org/laws_state_type.php?id=548&state_code=NE