CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

What are the penalties associated with conduct after accident

Customer Question

What are the penalties associated with conduct after accident in the state of NH?
I left the scene of an accident but eventually pulled over to exchange information.
Police showed and arrested for the above. This is my first arrest on this charge.
Fine amounts, jail time if any.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Can you share with me the statute/code you were charged under? What was the extent of the damage and was anyone injured?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I no sure of statue of cofe. No injuries I had no damage the other had minimal. I would say $1000 or less.
Thank you for the additional information. If the damage was less then $1000 and there were no injuries, it should be filed as a misdemeanor. However, it could carry up to a year in jail, along with fines. Now, since you are a first time offender and nobody was injured, it is unlikely that any jail time would be sought. Moreover, if you have insurance and it will cover the damage and the victim is made whole, that should be a mitigating factor with the sentence imposed and you could end up with a fine and court costs. If anything, probation may be imposed or community service as well. Seeing how you are a first time offender and you did pull over, the State should be inclined to impose a minimum fine and costs. At the same time, if you have a legal basis to explain why you left, you may also have a defense to raise.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!