Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

Details of dwi

Customer Question

details of dwi
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information
What is the situation and what information can I provide?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please opt out. I'd like a second opinion on the question that you already helped me with. Thank you.Original question:
I was stopped for a owi in march & it is my first offense ever. I have a court date but my lawyer is out of town & I received a letter saying I have to call to request my drivers license back. I am not from louisiana & no one from my state is familiar with this. The letter says I don't even need a lawyer, i just need to call a number to do a "telephone hearing" to request my license back. can i do this on my own? do I need cousel? how big of a deal is it?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely. I apologize for any inconvenience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi sam. i'm not sure what inconvenience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was great talking to you earlier
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a different expert, who happens to be a LA attorney and retired law enforcement officer in the state who was also certified by the LA Department of Public Safety in DWI detection and testing. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
They are talking about the license revocation hearing which is the administrative process of getting your license reinstated. There are two parts of a DWI, that would be the criminal part and then the administrative part where you will face sanctions on your license in addition to the criminal sanctions.
You need to call in for the revocation hearing without an attorney. Also, if you have an out of state license, even if LA reinstates or chooses not to suspend your license, if you are convicted of DWI in LA, then they will report that to your state and your state's DMV can actually take administrative action against your license in accordance with your state law.