Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

My husband had a fight with a guy he had problems with 3yrs

Customer Question

My husband had a fight with a guy he had problems with 3yrs ago..but this time he cut him in the chest with a razor blade the ones that have the box cutting ones. Will he be facing a felony or can it be a misdeminor and will he get out today? It happended last night..
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Send the answer to me via mms plz.(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(###) ###-####
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. We're unfortunately not able to text answers.
The District Attorney has a lot of discretion when deciding what to charge. Because a razor blade can be considered a deadly or dangerous weapon, it is possible that he'll be charged with assault in the second degree, which is a Class D felony. If the other individual was injured, then he could be charged with first degree assault instead, which is a Class B felony. That doesn't mean that he'll be CONVICTED of first or second degree assault - it is always possible to negotiate a plea and some prosecutors will charge someone expecting that the accused person will agree to plead guilty to a lesser charge.
Your husband should be able to get a hearing today or tomorrow for an arraignment, where the judge will explain the charges against him and give him a chance to plead not guilty. At that point, he can ask the judge to appoint a lawyer for him if he cannot afford one, and the lawyer will request bail. The judge has discretion on how much bail to set - how soon your husband gets released may wind up being based on how long you need to get the money together. The amount typically depends on which crime a person is charged with, the facts surrounding the allegations, and the person's criminal record.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.