Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I have a felony charge to delinquency of a

Customer Question

I have a felony charge for Contributing to delinquency of a minor 32 yrs. ago. I understand it cannot be expunged. Do you think because of the time elapsed and my clean record since , I could apply for a Gov. pardon ? What would be my chances of getting one ?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer. Thanks for requesting me.
The odds are stacked against pardon applicants as the state has a vested interest in wanting its criminal convictions to stick. Also, there is no set amount of pardons that a governor must dole out. Each governor has the discretion to determine for himself just how broadly or narrowly he wants to use his pardon power.
The governor of Wisconsin, for example, came into office stating he would grant no pardons at all, and he has even disbanded the pardon board during his term of office. In Louisiana, some governors are much more generous than others. This article is a few years old but will give you an idea of how few pardons actually get granted during the governor's terms of office in your state.
http://theadvocate.com/news/666536-64/story.html
It doesn't help that the DA gets to weigh in and oppose a pardon if he wishes, and so does the complainant if he or she can be reached for comment.
Still, pardons do get granted in Louisiana, presently about half of those recommended by the board for pardons. And all I can tell you is that if your record has been clean for 32 years, that's a very impressive statistic and would make you a far more desirable applicant than many others.
Best of luck going forward.