Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

Why are law enforcement officers allowed to carry ANYTHING

Customer Question

why are law enforcement officers allowed to carry ANYTHING that the citizen that hires them cannot? It may be the law but I'm not sure it's constitutional. I am ex-military, 11B,C.F and have skills and training the P.O. does not posess. I cannot carry a weapon in the city w/o someone w/o training telling me no. Bot***** *****ne, everyone should be armed the same way if they are covered by the US Constitution that I fought to preserve. Even S. Ops PO do not have my training. With some countries denying their street PO the right to carry and have less crime and less PO KIA why is my country so different? Why am I not allowed to be the PO equal? The PO bill of rights may not be constitutional. Their role does not and should not re-define my right to bear arms? Do not give me the TANK scenario BS.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

It is not unconstitutional to restrict the TYPE of weapons that a civilian can carry, it would be against the Second Amendment to restrict the right to bear arms completely. So the courts have held that regulation is different than prohibition to bear arms. I do not doubt that our military veterans are in many cases more qualified than some of the yahoos out there with guns, but this is a congressional and legislative issue, not one for the courts as the US Supreme Court has upheld the laws that regulate size of magazine and type of weapons that can be possessed by citizens and there are actually very few, because if you form a gun trust and have a FFL you can find you can get most types of weapons you would want.

You are not a deputized or commissioned law enforcement officer, so by law you cannot have their powers or rights and that again is a legislative issue. However, again, through using a gun trust with a FFL, you could still possess most types of weapons that law enforcement can possess.