Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

Brandon. I have a question about opening a bank account

Customer Question

Hi Brandon. I have a question about opening a bank account in someone elses name. If I opened an online checking account in some elses name and ssn, deposited money then the account was closed by the bank because they found out that the person never actually opened the account. How much trouble can I get in? x

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

It is considered identity theft and it is also considered wire fraud, since it was done online. Both of these are considered felony charges and wire fraud can have a sentence of 15 years in federal prison, so it is a fairly serious charge. If you are contacted about any of this matter, you need to make no statements at all and you need to hire an attorney locally to represent you and make no statements except with your attorney present.

In most cases, all the bank will do is close the account and they will not pursue it any further, but there is no guarantee of that, it is just how things are usually done in the majority of cases.